Commercial Finance Manager
Portland is a fully integrated communications consultancy trusted by some of the highest profile organizations, governments and individuals in the world with global offices in Washington DC, New York, Singapore, Nairobi, Doha and London.
We are pioneers in integrated communication campaigns; helping clients manage their reputation, improve their visibility and media coverage and hence, deliver global communication campaigns across multiple platforms.
Our teams of experienced and multilingual consultants invest time to understand clients from inside out, work with them to set clear strategic direction, and then bring Portland’s abilities to deliver their objectives.
At Portland we never rest on our laurels; we constantly strive to improve our work and be at the forefront of the industry.
We are looking for an experienced commercially focused finance professional to work closely within our Business Units to meet budgeted targets and enhance business performance. This role reports to the Head of Commercial Finance.
Business Unit Reporting
- Management of efficiency and margin (revenue, direct costs and staff costs) across business units
- Working with business unit senior team to ensure revenue and staff forecast is updated regularly
- Working closely with the business unit to ensure timely and accurate delivery of monthly MI, including but not limited to:
- Client Profitability and Servicing:
- Review over-servicing monthly and identify ‘problem’ accounts drawing to the attention of the client lead and Head of Commercial Finance. Agree an action plan where appropriate.
- Gaps in revenue recognition
- Over-sight of staff utilisation; look to identify and address excess of or lack of capacity
- Management of business unit capacity planning tool
- Attending business unit management meetings to report on revenue and unit performance against contribution target
- Ensuring contracted revenue is recognised in accordance with Portland revenue recognition policy and UK GAAP (time worked, project completion etc)
- Modelling people plans including hiring and promotions to ensure target is adhered to
- Full revenue reconciliation twice monthly
- Management of direct costs and client budgets
- Liaising with auditors for all revenue profit and loss (fees, expenses recharged) and balance sheet items (accrued and deferred income, WIP)
Debtors and WIP
• Accountability for debtors and WIP activity ensuring timely billing and efficient cash collection
• Supporting the Financial Accountant and Financial Controller in cash flow management in this regard
• Providing fortnightly analysis of aged accrued income and WIP
Contracts and pricing
- Work with the Head of Business Affairs and Head of Commercial Finance to ensure contract pricing and third-party budgeting is managed as efficiently as possible
- Ensuring financial compliance in all contracts
- Providing summary key contractual terms by client to client team
- Oversight of costing methodology
- Oversight of all client contracts from a finance perspective to ensure:
- Timely invoicing
- Preferential payment terms
- Appropriate revenue recognition in place
- Responsible for the preparation and enhancement of monthly management information pack for Partners
- Feed into adhoc internal and Omnicom reporting requirements as required
- Drive continuous improvement in finance processes & systems
- Sarbanes-Oxley testing as required
- Any other ad-hoc reporting requirements
Qualifications and skills
• Preferably ACCA / ACA / CIMA part qualified or QBE candidates will also be considered with relevant experience
• Be extremely organised and motivated;
• Self-starter who proactively drives projects and operates at speed in a deadline driven environment
• Resilient and be able to work under pressure;
• Be a good team player;
• Be confident and able to work on own initiative and with limited supervision.
• Possess strong attention to detail skills and be able to prioritise multiple tasks;
• Possess strong interpersonal skills, including ability to liaise with staff at all levels
and build and maintain effective working relationships.
• Intermediate to advance level in Excel with knowledge of Sum ifs, Macros, V/H lookups and pivot tables
• Experience of Sage, Maconomy and Hyperion is desirable.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive it is unfortunately not possible to respond directly to all applicants, only to those whose candidacy is being pursued. In addition, the length of the recruitment process varies based on the vacancy needs. Traditionally, the process takes approximately 2-4 weeks. Therefore, your patience is greatly appreciated.