Associate Director – Philanthropy
Our team brings together experience from the highest levels of the media, politics, and campaigning to work with global markets, major foundations, NGOs, and philanthropists.
We have an unrivalled strategic counsel and an integrated team experienced in delivering for high-profile individuals and some of the most exciting organisations in global development.
Our journalistic expertise means we know how to spot and hone a story. Our team understands how to make a story work hard across every possible channel. We ensure the work we are doing is having the right impact with the right people.
We also provide expert advice and delivery in the digital world, taking in the complex interactions of social media.
In this senior role, reporting to the Partners, you will lead teams and provide high-level counsel to clients; help drive the growth of the practice; and support the management and development of the team
The role is based in our London office with the opportunity for regular international travel.
Responsibilities will include:
- This role requires an individual with a strong background in communications, who thrives on managing complex issues and projects. You will be commercially driven and ambitious to help us to develop a talented team in a fast-growing consultancy.
- Industry experience is essential, ideally at a leading communications consultancy or in a senior in-house role
- Demonstrable expertise in developing and implementing insight-led communication campaigns
- Expertise in providing counsel to senior clients
- Experience managing major projects and bringing teams together to achieve objectives
- Commercial expertise including planning, budgeting and financial management
- Excellent problem solving capabilities with a strong point of view on the industry. A strong mix of media, digital and political/policy capabilities is required
- Demonstrable success in developing strategies for business development and directing processes
- Managing teams and developing a high performance culture, leading by example
- Leading in brainstorms and creating workable programmes for new business and existing clients commissioning market research
- Directing and mentoring junior account members; providing quality control and overseeing team assignments
- Establish professional relationships with colleagues and clients alike
Skills & Competencies:
- Providing senior counsel to clients
- Design and strong oversight of high impact, global strategic communications campaigns
- Leading account teams, line managing members of the practice
- People management and recruitment
- Day-to-day commercial performance – revenue, servicing, capacity planning. Building up commercial capability across the practice.
- Managing projects
- Driving organic growth of accounts
- Developing strategies for business development including leading proposal and pitch processes
- Networking and thought leadership to raise the profile of Portland
- Integration across the Portland offer and network of offices
- Helping drive a high performance culture
- Working as part of a cohesive senior management group
Due to the high volume of applications we receive it is unfortunately not possible to respond directly to all applicants, only to those whose candidacy is being pursued. In addition, the length of the recruitment process varies based on the vacancy needs. Traditionally, the process takes approximately 2-4 weeks. Therefore, your patience is greatly appreciated.